Lunches made simply delicious with Kashmiri Bazbatha
Updated: Jun 24
Tehri , which is the vegetarian version of a Biryani incorporates potatoes in rice cooked with spices, popular in Awadhi cuisine , is as near as a Bazbatha could get.
Batha is rice in Kashmir..I first had my taste of this simple but delicious dish at my mother-in- laws home . We would make a very similar dish at my grandmothers home which was i think was in between a Tehri and a Bazbatha but I do love the mix of the simple spices and aroma of a Bazbatha. The uncooked rice is sauteed before placing on a 'Dum' or cooking in water. Every household must have their own way of cooking this dish, adding their twists to it. I learnt this recipe from a very old manuscript of kashmiri recipes of handed to me by my mother-in-law.
Today I paired it with a universal favourite - the Punjabi Rajma (recipe is in a previous post) . Such is this dish that it doesn't even need an accompaniment and you may savour this with yoghurt too.
2 cups Basmati Rice , washed and rinsed Serves 4-5
1 tbspn Ghee
3 tblsp green peas, shelled
1/2 no. medium sized cauliflower, cut into florets
2 nos. medium sized potato, boiled and diced
1 tsp of ginger julienne
1 tblsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
A sml piece of jaggery
1/4 tsp Asafoetida in water
1/4 tsp of turmeric in water
1 tsp garam masala powder
2 tblsp coriander leaves, chopped finely
salt to taste
Ghee/ oil for frying
1 green chilli , slit , optional
1. Heat Ghee in a pan , fry the cauliflower and potato together and keep aside.
2. In the same pan , heat more ghee and add the washed and rinsed rice and the shelled peas.
3. Saute for 2-3 minutes and then add the cumin seeds, cloves ,ginger ,green chilli and coriander powder. Add jaggery and the asafoetida water and mix very well. Cook for a few minutes and keep stirring.
4.Add the cauliflower and potato to this with coriander leaves and turmeric in water. Add Salt and the garam masala. Add water.
5. Put it on 'Dum ' or slow fire and cover and cook. You may also put it in your rice cookers with the appropriate level of water to cook.
6. Serve hot with your choice of accompaniment or as it is .