It was always Semolina Halwa that was the star at my grandmothers kitchen. Gajar or carrot Halwa had a special appearance now and then, maybe at parties or when someone would request for it from her or due to the fact that fresh winter carrots that would make themselves so readily available during the cold months that one would be forced to think of the delicious halwa that could be prepared with them.
And that's exactly how I prepared the halwa that was always absent on our table. Dark red carrots lay in front of me in the aisle of my supermarket when I was looking for the orange variety . And I did not think twice , grabbed some in my trolley , ready for some warm Gajar ka Halwa to make a special appearance at our table .
Delicious Warm Gajar ka Halwa or Carrot Pudding
5-6 Red Carrots
2 cups of full fat milk , organic
2 tblsp ghee
6 tblsp of jaggery , organic
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
2 tblsp sliced almonds
1 pinch saffron
1. Peel and grate the carrots and keep aside.
2. In a kadai or heavy bottomed pan , add the carrots and the milk . Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer .
3.Keep stirring so that it doesn't stick to the bottom.
4. The milk will start to reduce , when it does reduce by 3/4th , add the ghee, jaggery and powdered cardamom.
5. Mix well and keep stirring on simmer.
6. When nearly done , or the milk has nearly evaporated completely , add the almonds and saffron.
7. Serve hot with slivers of almonds . You may want to add more varieties of nuts like cashew or even golden raisins.
P.S To many , it tastes delicious with Rabri ( sweetened reduced milk) and Vanilla ice cream.