She knows that I love food. I received food photos of the Leg of Lamb so beautifully laid on the table that I couldn't resist but request her for the recipe. Her home is always full of heady smells from the kitchen and it's a privilege to be able to showcase one of the dishes that she so lovingly adorns on her table.
My aunt is a master chef in her own right and loves to feed all her near and dear ones. Don't think any of our family members could ever decline a lunch or dinner invitation to her beautiful home! This is her recipe for Roast Leg of Lamb.
Roasted Leg of Lamb with Brown Sauce
1 1/4 kg leg of lamb or Raan with bone
1 tblsp ginger and garlic paste
1 tblsp coarsely ground pepper
4 tblsps Worcestershire sauce
1 tblsp vinegar
2 bay leaves
8 nos. whole black peppers
2 cinnamon sticks
1 no. Whole Star Anise
Ghee for cooking
1. Wash the leg of lamb thoroughly and make deep slits.
2. Rub in the salt, pepper, ginger and garlic paste, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar. Add the whole masalas.
3. Leave the leg in the fridge, overnight.
4. Take a wok, heat ghee and place the marinated leg of lamb in it. There will be juices too which can be kept aside.
5. Saute it till the meat turns brown, and then add the marination juices and masalas which were kept aside.
6. Cover it with an inverted pot so that steam can be trapped to cook it. Place a tawa or a grill plate under the wok to cook it slowly, on a low flame.
7. Cook it for 4 hrs and keep a check on it . Let the meat become tender and cook in it's own juices.
The Accompanying Brown Sauce
1. The wok will have some liquid with the masalas. Take a portion of it and saute it with 1 tablespoon of flour.
2. Add :
2 tblsp of Worcestershire sauce
2 tblsp tomato ketchup
1 lemon , juiced
1 tblsp sugar
a pinch of salt and pepper
Add water to this and let it boil. Simmer for a while and add chopped celery .
Serve hot with the Roast.