Sindhi Kadhi ..to complete the "Kadhi trilogy"
I am back from my annual holiday ...refreshed, and with the kids packed off to my mothers home in India , I can resume this beautiful journey with food.
In my last post, my aunt, Bulbul Mami, (who is by the way the only one who still calls me by my pet name! ), had requested me to post the recipe of Sindhi Kadhi. I wanted to find the most authentic recipe , as possible and so am posting two recipes for her ,one is from my aunt, Rashmi's(Masi's) home who resides in Mumbai and the other is from the Master Chef, Kunal Kapur, who needs no introduction, all thanks to our friend Tapan Piplani who got us connected .
Sindh was a part of mordern day Gujrat and Rajasthan states(west of India) and also a south west province of Pakistan, bordering India.
We don't cook Sindhi Kadhi at home since Punjabi Kadhi had always been the style we were used to. But with all the vegetables in this version , I am sure this would be a real hit too!
Recipe 1: From the kitchen of Chef Kunal Kapur
8-10 tblsp Oil
6 tblsp Gramflour(besan)
1.5 tsp cumin seeds(jeera)
1.5 tsp fenugreek seeds( methi )
1.5 tsp asafoetida(hing)
8-10 curry leaves
2 tblsp grated ginger
2-3 green chillies
2 tomatoes, pureed
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp corriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
a few veggies,handfuls of okra(bhindhi),stringbeans,potatoes,drumstick,aubergine (baingan)
1 tsp tamarind pulp (imli)
Salt to taste
1. Take a heavy bottomed vessel, and heat oil.
2. Add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida. When it crackles, add the curry leaves and the gramflower and cook on slow flame.
3. Cook the gramflower at least for 15 -20 minutes till the color changes . Make sure there is enough oil in the vessel.
4. Once the gramflower is cooked , add 2 glasses of water or according to the consistency of the kadhi you prefer you can add water.
5. Then add the grated ginger, green chillies, pureed tomatoes let it boil.
6. Add the powdered masalas and the vegetables.Dont add the okra (bhindi) now.
7. Add the Okra (bhndi) ,after all the other vegetables are cooked, and the tamarind pulp.
8. Bring to a boil and cook on a slow flame till the okra is cooked.
9. Serve hot with steamed rice.
Imp: The kadhi must be sour and the taste depends upon how much the gramflower has been cooked earlier.
Recipe 2 : From my Masi's (Maternal Aunt) , Rashmi Marwaha's Kitchen
2 tblsp Oil
2 tblsp Gramflour(besan)
2 tsp cumin seeds(jeera)
2 tsp fenugreek seeds( methi )
2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
5-8 curry leaves
2 green chillies
1/2 tsp red chilli powder(optional)
1 tsp turmermic powder (optional)
A few veggies cut 3'' length, handfuls of okra (bhindi),stringbeans,potatoes,drumstick, aubergine(baingan)
Salt to taste
Make a mixture of
1 cup gramflour
1 cup yoghurt , sour
3 glasses of water
Beat together very well and keep aside. (Make to your cosistency preference)
To prepare :
1. Heat oil in a vessel .
2. Add mustard seeds , fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds.
3. When they crackle add gramflour, green chilles and curry leaves.
4. Cook the gramflour on a slow flame till its color changes, usually 15 minutes.
5. Add the mixture of gramflour and yoghurt as specified above.
6. Mix thoroughly and take care that it does'nt burn. Add salt and optional masalas.
7. Add the vegetables and cook till done.Keep on a slow flame.
8. Serve with steamed rice.