A Date a day...
It's been a long time since I wrote and explored another easy bake cake . I have always wanted to bake with dates . With a vast array of varieties here , I wonder why did it take me so much time to incorporate this wonderful fruit in a dish or cake? Dates have been an integral part of the diet in the Middle east for more then 7000 years and are a powerhouse of vitamins , minerals and fiber. Very few people are allergic to this fruit and it has been named as a super food substituting sugar in various ways.This recipe calls for seedless dates and I used Medjool dates which are probably the oldest cultivated fruit in the Middle East region.
Here is a recipe for a simple Date and Chia Cake . I have used oats flour instead of whole wheat flour as part of the flour used .
1 1/2 cups of seedles Dates( i used medjool variety)
1.5 cups of water
3/4-1 cup raw sugar
1 cup melted butter (room temperature)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup oats or whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Chia seeds to sprinkle
1. Preheat the oven to 175 deg c or 350 deg F .Line and grease a baking dish and keep aside.
2. Mix the butter and sugar and cream till light and fluffy in a mixing bowl.
3. Chop the dates and boil them in water for 5 minutes. Leave to cool for 15 minutes. Puree the mixture and pour into the mixing bowl.
4. Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
5. Then mix in the flours. baking soda and salt.
6. Pour it in the baking tin and sprinkle the chia seeds.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes , though do check with a toothpick in the 25th minute.