Ladoos for all Ladoo Gopals
Today and tomorrow , in some parts of India , the birth of Lord Krishna is celebrated who was a very naughty child and loved his sweets and dairy. For all the Ladoo Gopals , in my case its my daughter , here is an offering of Jowar or Sorghum and Sama or Little Millet Ladoos. I prepare them with Jaggery so there would be colour variations.
Thank you to @themillettable for her wonderful recipe of Jowar ladoo, tweaked a bit . And I took the cue from there to make the Little millet laddo.
Jowar or Shorgum ladoos
1 cup Jowar and Sorghum flour
1 cup Jaggery powder
1/8 tsp cardamom powder
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp chopped dry fruits - i used pistachio, walnuts and almonds
1. Dry Roast the Jowar flour until you get a nice aroma from it . This should take around 10-15 minutes on a small flame . Switch off flame and keep aside.
2. Make a sugar syrup of one thread consistency by heating jaggery , water and cardamom powder .
3. Roast the dry fruits in ghee and keep aside
4. Mix the flour with the sugar syrup and dry fruits very well.
5. Put it in a blender till the consistency is smooth.
6. Roll into ladoos and store in an airtight container.
Little Millet or Sama Ladoos
1 cup Little millet or Sama
3/4 cup Jaggery powder or grated jaggery
1/4 cup milk, I used Lactose free milk
2 tblsp Ghee or oil
Dry Roast the Little millet in a pan for around 3-5 minutes on a low flame till its crispy . Remove and cool.
Grind it till it becomes a smooth flour .Keep aside.
3. Heat Jaggery and 2 tblsp of water and let it boil to a sticky stage . Mix it with the flour very well .
4. Heat Ghee or oil in a pan , add the mixture and then add the milk . Mix very well till it starts leaving the sides of the pan. See that there are no lumps.
5. Remove and make ladoos. Store in an airtight container.
Enjoy both ladoos ...on this special day ...